Saturday, May 25, 2002

The Grandma Scare

Time: 12:29 A.M.
I'm Wearing: Blue pajamas.
I Last Ate: Two bean burritos - onions and cheese @ Taco Bell.
Holly's Song Pick For Today: "Nothing But the Blood of Jesus" by Amy Grant.
________________________________________________________

Last night was a lot of fun. Zach and Mom both had the night off of work, so Mom got us all pizzas at her house. We watched K-Pax (my pick) and everyone loved it. Then we watched Not Another Teen Movie (Zach's pick) and everyone hated it. After a while, Carrie and Karen came over, and we played Scattergories while eating Rolo's.

Today, however, was not so much fun. I didn't wake up until 4:00 P.M. (!) and I had to be to my dad's house for dinner around 5. As soon as I got dressed, though, my grandparents came in. Mom called Zach to tell him I'd be at Dad's soon, but we all got caught up in looking at Carrie's prom and Disney World pictures.

After about half an hour, my grandparents and I got in their car so they could take me home. We had to drop off the videos from the previous night first, though, and as soon as we got to the video store, my grandma said, "Ugh... I don't feel so good." She felt dizzy, sweaty, and like her stomach was doing flip-flops.

She and Grandpa realized what had happened right away. See, my grandpa is diabetic, and has to take pills to lower his blood sugar. Apparently, this morning, my grandma accidentally took Grandpa's pill instead of her vitamin, which means her blood sugar plummeted. It was like, in the 40s, which is NOT GOOD.

So, instead of taking me home, Grandpa turned around and headed for their house. Grandma wasn't very aware of her surroundings at this point, and she felt way too weak to make it into the house. Somehow, though, she managed, and was soon lying on the couch. I got her a cold cloth while Grandpa got her a cup of regular Coke. Then I got her a big glass of orange juice, bread with lots of sugary jelly, and some Fudge Shoppe cookies.

As Grandma was finally dozing off, I realized I hadn't called my dad and Zach to tell them where I was! I called them immediately, but they were both seriously angry with me for not being home (they were waiting for me to go out to dinner w/ them and they were hungry). Zach said I'd taken too long, and they were going to eat without me. He didn't even seem to *care* that our grandma was seriously ill, and that I had to stay and take care of her for a little longer!

I put in a DVD to calm Grandma down, and her blood sugar eventually got up to 96, thank God. Zach came to get me after he and Dad had their dinners (the jerks), and we came home. I can't believe they were mad at me for staying with my sick grandma! I mean, she's always stayed with me when I was sick, and that was pretty often! So screw Zach and Dad. But Grandma is going to be okay, thankfully.

Alright, later.

--Holly Rachael :-)

No comments: