Monday, June 10, 2002

Open Houses, Sunburns and Self-Doubt

Time: 7:16 P.M.
I'm Wearing: Mauve Amy Grant shirt and jeans.
I Last Ate: Side dishes at Bob Evans.
Holly's Song Pick of the Day: "Creepin' Up on You" by Darren Hayes.
________________________________________________________

Saturday, I went to Carrie's open house with Mom, Mike, Grandma and Grandpa. It was over at Carrie's mom's house, in the backyard.

My mom made Carrie a doll cake for the open house! For those who don't know, a doll cake is one of my mom's specialties: It's a Barbie doll surrounded by a skirt-shaped cake, and she paints a dress on the doll (and cake) with frosting. She bought a Barbie of Beyonce from Destiny's Child because Carrie's got a dark tan, and Beyonce's half-white. The doll looked just like Carrie, and Mom painted Carrie's hot pink, princessy prom dress on her. She even put edible glitter on the dress! Carrie wouldn't let anyone cut that cake, though; she wanted to freeze it and save it (don't worry, there were three other cakes that we did eat).

Mom wore a sun dress to Carrie's open house, but I chose to keep my regular outfit of a T-shirt and shorts. I asked my grandma and grandpa if they thought I looked okay, and they said yes. But Mike said, "No! What if there's some nice boy at this open house, and you're there, looking like a slob?" I was like, "What?! A slob?" and he said, "Yeah. You're wearing a T-shirt, so you look like a slob." Geez! And it's so not his problem if guys like me or they don't.

Carrie's open house was pretty fun. Most of the high-school-aged (and younger) kids played volleyball, and it was entertaining to watch. Carrie ended up getting $2,000! Hooooollly macoroni, eh? She's quite the popular one. My mom also made a vegetarian pasta salad for she and I, but Carrie's boyfriend, Garret, ended up eating most of it! Heheheh.

After hanging out at Carrie's open house for like, three hours, we went to Lauren's (my distant cousin) open house. She lives in this huge mansion in Clio because her dad's a doctor. They had plenty of vegetarian food, so Mom and I ate pretty darn good. We were all having a nice time, but we noticed Mike was looking kind of strange. We figured he wasn't feeling good, but that wasn't it. Grandma and I talked to my great-aunt Patricia, and she isn't doing to well... she's kind of losing her mind; she can't remember things she did last week. Owwwww, I got a bad sunburn on my face from being outside all day!

Anyway, we got home, and asked Mike how he liked Lauren's open house. He said, "I didn't. Those people acted like they were too good for us." We didn't know what he meant, so he explained, "That Iranian doctor and his kids kept pointing to you and Holly and making obscene gestures." I guess they were pretty bad, because Mike wouldn't even show us what they were doing. He said they made fun of me a lot more than they did Mom, though... What I wonder is why were they making fun of me? I wish I'd have known. I don't know why it did, but it really upset me. I guess it just reminded me of high school...

My dad asked me if I felt bad that I didn't get an open house, since I didn't get to finish high school. I said no. Truthfully, I did feel a little bad, though. My mom said that she will throw me an open house when I get my G.E.D., but I told her I don't want one. I mean, what would be the point? I had like, four friends in high school, and the rest of the kids just made fun of me. That's part of the reason why I didn't make it through school. And... you know, it's not really a diploma. It's a "Good Enough Diploma," as Chris Rock would say. Well, I've gotta do some G.E.D. book work. Don't worry, Mondie, I'll take your Newsies survey soon!

--Holly Rachael :-D

No comments: