Tuesday, July 30, 2002

What the...?

Time: 3:03 P.M.
I'm Wearing: Amy Grant shirt, shorts and flip-flops.
My Hair Is: Wet. And up.
I Last Ate: Whole wheat pancakes @ Mom's.
Holly's Song Pick of the Day: "Start to Fly"--Plus One
________________________________________________________

Last night, I got all dressed up and went to Crusin Muer's (the most expensive restaurant of all time) for my cousin, Lindsay's 21st birthday. We had a rather large party which consisted of fifteen people. Lindsay had her first legal drink... and then her second legal drink, both of which were bought for her by her best friend, Amber. I found this a bit odd because Amber's brother just killed one of his friends (he was also my step-sister's best friend) while drunk driving.

I don't want to criticize anyone, but I don't know why people that are this || close to a tragedy caused by drunk driving, are still drinking.

My brother finds me to be a little too judgemental about the situation. I really don't want to be that way, but I do care about my cousin, and I wish she wouldn't drink. I mean, to me, drinking just isn't a good idea. It can cause liver trouble, it can significantly blur your judgement, it can cause accidents that are sometimes fatal... and from what I hear, most of it even tastes nasty. So why would anyone start drinking, when they know what consequences it could have? Because I mean, they have to know... I don't know about you other kiddies, but the kiddies at my school had to take D.A.R.E. in 5th grade, 6th grade, 8th grade and 9th grade. Really, it's kind of hard to miss the fact that drinking's bad for you.

I'm really worried about my brother, too. He's four weeks away from his 21st birthday, and I think he's going to start drinking. Most of his friends drink, so he doesn't think one or two drinks can really hurt. But I know that he knows that it can. He promised my mom that he won't drink because she begged him not to, but I don't know if he'll make good on that promise. I really hope he will.

Well... I've put in my two cents. Now I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

--Holly

No comments: