Tuesday, December 19, 2000

My Story of Daria

Since I explained my vegan story, I thought I'd explain my obsession with Daria, so that my entire name makes sense. So, here's an explanation for the "Daria Freak" part of my OD name.

My obsession with Daria is actually kind of ironic. Daria stands for cynicism, sarcasm, anti-sappiness. My previous TV show obsessions, however, were all *about* sappiness, preppiness, and allllll that wonderful stuff that Daria hates. I was into soap operas, Clueless, Sabrina the Teenage Witch... Daria wasn't exactly the type of show anyone would have that I'd be into.

The first episode I ever saw of Daria was "Too Cute." I just loved Quinn, I thought she was so cool! But then I saw what a snob she was, and realized that the show was cool because of Daria's outlook on life. She had some snappy comeback for every stupid comment that was made, and I thought it was hilarious. However, that didn't get me hooked on the show. I just sort of thought it was pretty good at that point.

"Road Worrier" was the second episode I saw. Daria had such an adorable crush on Trent... she got all nervous around him, and Daria *never* got nervous. She was cool, collected, and could handle anything with sarcasm. Not Trent. I loved it! There was a possibility of a hook-up here... I *had* to keep watching.

I watched Daria for four years. She never hooked up with Trent. But I watched and taped every episode, hoping that she would. Daria went out with nerdy Ted, had some sort of weird chemistry with that cousin of Upchuck, and had... *something* going on with Tom, Jane's boyfriend. I still clung to that last thread of hope. Daria and Trent *HAD* to happen. They just had to! My life would be over if they didn't! I figured I would turn into some sort of weird hermit, or have a nervous breakdown, or something.

Well, Daria hooked up with Tom, and there was this huge thing where Jane couldn't stand the sight of Daria because she stole her boyfriend. Thorough all of that crap, never once did anyone mention that Daria was still supposed to have a crush on Trent. I mean, hello?! I've been waiting! And it never happened. Oh, I was pissed. I cried once or twice. Then nothing. I was just sort of over it. It was really weird to not really care all that much because I'd expected my entire life to end.

Well, now I can at least I can pay attention to the rest of the characters on the show instead of constantly thinking, "Are Daria and Trent gonna hook up? Are Daria and Trent gonna hook up?" You know, it's weird. There were other interesting characters on the show the whole time. Whoa. Well, okay. I think I've explained my obsession to the point where you're more confused. My job here is done. Thank you and goodnight.

PS: Now I think Jodie and Mack are my favorite couple on the show. Aren't they sweet? Awwwww....

--Holly the "Holy" Zintel ():-)

TOM MUST DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!

No comments: