Sunday, July 29, 2001

God? Wanting us to eat meat? Nah...

I just got back from church, and while I was there, I got to feeling kind of bad about what I said yesterday...

See, Mom and Mike were having an argument last night about whether God wants us to eat meat or not. Mike thought he'd be all slick and show us where it said that God wants us to kill animals to eat. Mom and I can't even comprehend such a thing, so she started crying and said, "Whatever. Go ahead and eat your meat, Mike. I hope you choke on it!" She feels really bad that she said that now. What I said was, "I think some of the Bible is just made up," and Grandpa was like, "You can't just take part of the Bible and leave the rest."

Then this morning, I was sitting there in church while Mr. Hale (our substitue minister, and my occasional sub at school) talk about helping and defending your neighbor. He said, "Just who is your neighbor? Is it just the guy next door? Or should you help any man who's in trouble?" But hey! Why should we only help "man?" What kind of bull is that? Can't the animals be our neighbor, too? I mean, why the heck not? I just can't believe that the sweet, loving God that I believe in would want His creatures to be killed for our selfish benefit.

UGH!!!!!!!!!

No comments: