Saturday, December 7, 2002

Germans From Russia is the Part-ay of the Year

On Sunday, I went to the annual Germans From Russia Christmas party with my grandma and grandpa Z. My brother, Zach and my cousins, Lindsay and Jennifer used to come with us, but they all think they're too cool for it now. I, on the other hand, simply love Germans from Russia, and look forward to it all year long. We buy raffle tickets, eat a huge, delcious and extravagent meal, then sing Christmas songs and wait to see who won the Christmas gifts in the raffle. I sat across from a 9-year-old boy who really reminded me of Zach when he was 9. This kid, Alex, was an aspiring cartoonist (like Zach), seemed to enjoy trying to set his program on fire with the candle at the table (like Zach and Jennifer used to do) and could remember only the German number for "six"--"Sex" (like Zach). After we ate, 3 women introduced themselves as our entertainment, and began playing instruments that were said to be over 1,000 years old. The music was awesomely Christmasie, despite what Alex said about it. I had never won anything at Germans From Russia in my life, but this year, I sure did! I won 4 prizes, which is ridiculous, considering there are only about 12 prizes, and roughly 100 guests at Germans From Russia. I won a huge Christmasie table center piece containing aromatherapeutic candles, a Jesus tree ornament, a box of delectable chocolate praline seashells and a loaf of homemade rye bread. I think Grandma was kind of mad that I won all that stuff, as she usually wins a ton of stuff there. She said, "Holl, you won too much; I'm taking this loaf of bread you won." And she did, heh.



Zach and I at Bronners when we were littleYOUR HOLIDAY FAVORITES


1.) COOKIE: Peanut butter with a Hershey's Kiss on top. My mommy makes these lovely creations.

2.) CANDY: Reeses Christmas trees.

3.) MAIN COURSE: The Chic Max sub from Blimpies. The grandparents Shoup order us subs for Christmas Eve, and the veggie max that is fake chicken is simply delicious

.4.) STORE: Bronners in Frankenmuth, all the way.

5.) COLOR OF OUTDOOR LIGHTS: Pastels. We have the white icicle kind, but I wish to have pastels. *Pouts*

6.) TYPE OF TREE: Absolutely artificial!

7.) COLOR LIGHTS ON TREE: Numerous white ones, and they must be on that slow twinkle setting that looks like falling snow.

8.) TREE TOPPER: Angel! The one here @ Dad's has fiber optic wings, and she's simply luffly, but the one Mom's online friend made for her is full of angelic fun as well.

9.) ORNAMENTS or BALLS: Both. My favorite tree decoration is my first pair of shoes. They say "Holly Rachael" in fancy gold letting on the soles, and they're gnarley.

10.) GARLAND or TINSEL: Tinsel, all the way! Tinsel was my very first kitty cat, and I loved her muchly.

11.) HIDNG PLACE FOR GIFTS: Dad's closet.

12.) BEST TOY YOU EVER GOT FOR CHRISTMAS: My Belica doll, Rachael. Her hair was the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

13.) THING TO WEAR TO BED CHRISTMAS EVE: My new pajamas! For as long as I can remember, my mommy has given us our new pajamas on Christmas Eve, and she has excellent taste in comfy bed-wear. *Hugs Mom*

14.) TIME YOU GOT UP CHRISTMAS MORNING AS A KID: Around 5 or 6:00 A.M. I actually don't remember ever falling asleep on Christmas Eve, but I definitely remember waking up with my stocking in my arms. Mom always snuck into our rooms and put our stockings in our beds so we could go through them right when we woke up.

15.) TIME YOU GOT UP CHRISTMAS MORNING LAST YEAR: 6:30, but only because Zach made me. He got out of work and decided everyone should get up. *Makes an angry/sleepy face*

16.) DO YOU ENJOY SENDING OUT CHRISTMAS CARDS: Absolutely! Haven't done it in a while, though...

17.) HOW DO YOU DISPLAY THE CARDS YOU RECEIVE? We tape them up around the big wooden-frame (door substitute) that leads into the family room.

18.) HOT CHOCOLATE, EGG NOG or APPLE CIDER: Hot chocolate and Soy Nog with apple cider for desert. *Nods happily*

19.) ALCOHOLIC DRINK: I'm a proud no-alcohol girl.

20.) DO YOU HAVE A NATIVITY IN YOUR HOME? Indeed we do!

21.) HOLIDAY SONG: "Welcome to Our World" by Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith.

22.) HOLIDAY MOVIE: Prancer, The Santa Clause 1 & 2 and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

23.) BEST HOLIDAY EPISODE OF A TV SHOW YOU EVER SAW: One Life to Live in 1995.

24.) HOLIDAY TV SPECIAL YOU EVER SAW: Garfield's Christmas but I also love Charlie Brown's.

25.) DO YOU WRAP THE GIFTS YOU PUT IN A STOCKING: Nope.

26.) HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU FOUND OUT THERE WAS NO SANTA CLAUS? Alright, now it's just a lie that there's no Santa Claus.

27.) HOW DID YOU FIND OUT? Well, Zach and Mom kind of sat me down and tried to convince me that there was no Santa Claus when I was 11.

28.) HOW DID YOU TAKE THE NEWS? I thought they were B.S.ing me then, and I still do. There is a Santa Claus, I tell you!

29.) DO YOU GO TO CHURCH ON CHRISTMAS EVE/CHRISTMAS MORNING? Christmas Eve night. It's always the highlight of my year; we have a beautiful candle-lit service where we all stand and sing "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night" for half an hour, then hand out hugs instead of our usual "May the peace of Christ be with you" handshakes, and everything seems right in the world. *Beams*

30.) WHEN DO YOU TAKE YOUR CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS DOWN? After New Year's.



--Holly :-D

No comments: