Thursday, May 3, 2001

Update on Me

Hey! Whassup? I got back from Florida last Thursday, and I discovered some new things about myself on my trip.

1. I'm not afraid of rollercoasters! In fact, I think they rock the body that rocks the party!
2. I can say, "The cockroaches go in, but they do not exit" in Spanish.
3. If I know I'm going to be stading in a really long line in 95 degree weather, I should bring a Slurpee with me.
4. Swimming is only fun is someone's not trying to drown me.
5. I walk about 5 minutes ahead of my grandparents.

On our last day at Disney World, Zach said his back hurt, so he stayed in the room while Dad and I went to MGM. We went on this tour called The Magic of Disney Animation. They showed us all kinds of interesting stuff, but the part I liked the best was when they showed us a video of these animators that work at Disney. One of the guys said, "My co-worker told me once to put true sincerity into my work. I thought he meant, 'Draw really good.' Since then, I've realized what he really meant. To touch the audience with the story you're trying to tell, you have to feel what your character is feeling. That's what makes the whole thing believeable."

So these people acted out the scenes before they drew them, and that really worked. They actually felt what their characters did. These animators said it's so cool to watch the scenes they draw on the big screen, because it seems like they made magic.

Then our tour guide brought us to this mini-theatre where they showed us clips from Disney movies where it was very evident that the artists put tons of sincerity into their work. They showed us the scene where Bambi's mom got shot, the scene where Belle is crying, talking to the Beast after his fight with Gaston, and the scene where Kerchek is dying, and tells Tarzan to take care of the family. Then a series of scenes where best friends are helping each other out, where family comes through for heros, and where couples live happily ever after.

That was about the coolest thing I've ever done. But then we went to this show, Fantasmic. Mickey had a dream with all the Disney characters out on the lake, reinacting their hero scenes and stuff. It was *really* cool.

Well, as soon as I got home, I had to watch all the Disney movies I missed. So now I have a new obsession... with Tarzan. It's so sweet! The poor kid's parents died, so a gorilla took him in and raised him. Then he felt like he didn't fit in because of the way he looked compared to the animals. His "mom" said the coolest thing. She put his hand to his chest and said, "Forget what you see. What do you feel?" and he said, "My heart!" Then she had him listen to her heart and she said, "See? They're exactly the same." I thought that was really sweet. Oh! And I *love* the scenes with Tarzan and Jane. My favorite one is where Jane's drawing Tarzan and he's all staring at her, but Clayton is like, "No, watch what *I'm* doing!" amd Tarzan puts his head down like he's paying attention to Clayton, but he really keeps watching Jane, and he gets the cutest smile on his face. And I like how they matched the lyrics up with the scne-- "Every gesture... every move that she makes makes me feel like never before... Why do I have this growing need to be beside her?" And she's drawing Tarzan right there, and she looks like she's so into it. It's so cute!

Uh-oh, somebody smack me, I'm getting too giddy for my own good! Ah well. Later!

--Holly Rach

No comments: