Thursday, November 21, 2002

Cops Out Front, Snipers in the Bushes

Zach woke me up for school this morning at 8:00, and I was pretty dang tired, and didn't really want to get out of bed. But I ate my peanut butter toast nevertheless, and got ready to go to school. I walked out to the living room and started putting my shoes on, and Zach opened the drapes. As soon as he did, we saw a couple of cop cars in front of our house, and the cops were holding huge rifles, and blocking off the road. Zach went out to ask them what the heck was going on, and they said, "There's a situation behind your house; stay inside." So... we did, while Zach decided to open all the shades in the family room so he could see what was going on back there.

Zach walked out of the room with the phone so he could call my grandparents, who also live in this neighborhood, but I stayed in the family room. I heard a knock, and saw a guy all decked out in army garb with a big-arse rifle, knocking on my sliding glass door. I didn't think I should answer the door to this dude, so Zach went out front and asked the cops if we should open the door to this army guy. They informed us that he was a cop too, so we opened the back door, and the army cop was like, "Hey, there's a man with a gun right around here, so don't be getting up in the windows, and stay inside." We began shutting the blinds as we spotted a sniper hiding between the bushes in the back yard.

At this point, I was seriously freaked out, and Zach was calling my dad at work, my mom at her house, and our other grandparents and friends. We went down the basement so we wouldn't get shot through the windows or anything, but nothing really happened, so we came back upstairs after a while. We saw a few more snipers hiding in our next-door-neighbor's stairwell when we peeked out the window. Soon, the guy who lives across the street from us was cleaning out his camper, and the next-door-neighbors were outside, talking to the cops, so we settled down a bit. After about 3 hours, the snipers, army dudes and policemen all went back to their cars and left. We just saw on the news that the situation had been about this guy who was threatening his wife with a gun, but the cops arrested him, so I suppose everything is okay now. So... I guess I have a pretty valid excuse for not going to school today. "The cops wouldn't let me leave my house." *Nods* Okay, later.

--Holly :-O

No comments: